6.24.2007

Weekend at the Zoo

Ok, when I'm REAL bored I do things like this memory sketch. Stephen Silver introduced me to the concept of "memory sketching"--drawing an quick 'afterthought' image of someone you saw on the bus or walking by the stand or whatever. This guy walked by as I was getting a sketch and when business slowed down I hatched out a version of his forehead and long stringy hair. It would be awesome to take Stephen's Character Design class--may do that!

there's a little photo booth next to the tiki hut where i draw caricatures--this image was drawn from one of the sample photos of a girl and her presumed boyfriend. i couldn't resist exaggerating the teeth, dimples, and eyes--especially when business was slow.
average park sketch--boring! (sorry for the dirty edge lines--I have to get up early tomorrow and don't feel like cleaning them up now). This one happened to be a demo I didn't sell, though the family loved it and thought it looked just like him.

Where before I could now launch into the whole "artist hating his own sketch" rant, I'm currently trying to be content where I am in the process of "becoming." Furthermore, I realize that in the small world of caricatures it's only my little corner that I'm annoyed with. Big deal!

3 comments:

Taylor said...

Dude...like your stuff a lot! Laughed hard at the girl with the teeth.

JEREMYBOPP said...

Hey I love your work too. How about sketching up Bush and maybe an Owen Wilson??

Allison said...

cool memory sketch (and cool idea!)