6.17.2008

Ain't Lion


here's a photo of a painting (and a closeup of the painting) I did for my nephew - back when he had his first birthday last September (he's almost 2 now!). You may be asking: nice painting, but why in the world did you paint a painting for your nephew's first birthday - not your typical gift. You're right. The backstory goes something like this...
In 2005 I had the chance to go to Kenya with my brother and his wife, her parents (medical missionaries) and about 15 other people I hadn't met before. Most were nurses or missionaries, etc, and then there was me, this random guy with a camera and a keen interest in helping people. I don't have time to tell the whole story, but I got to go on safari and around sunset we happened to crawl up on this young male lion resting in the middle of a savanna. I clicked several sweaty-fingered pictures on my Nikon FM-10, capturing some decent slides.
FF to September of 2006, when this little miracle boy known as Christopher Didyk comes bursting out of the womb in Lexington, KY.
This story is getting too long.
Ok, my sister-in-law, then--my brother's wife Rachel (Christopher's mom) wanted me to do a mural of an African scene for the baby's room. And, well, in the middle of a kajillion other projects I just didn't get it done on time, and Christopher was early--like scary early. Also, once this little kid was healthy the parents decide to up and move to Johnson City! Hey it was a good move, and means they're all a lot closer for me to visit, but then I didn't know how big of a wall I would be dealing with/what size canvas I needed to prepare, etc. So by the time his first birthday rolled around, I spent an evening, about four hours, creating this acrylic painting from my photograph. I really liked the process of doing a painting of my own slide--would be fun to do more of these--and I think it will be a cool thing for Christopher to dig up when he's a little older.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. Very moving. You know you have spoiled art for us. We went to Newport on the levee here and went through some art shops and were just like, "this stuff pretty much sucks compared to what Tony does"

the rieckes

Anonymous said...

I love this...youre so good. I have safari pics on my facebook too. This is perfect for a little boy. Wild and untamed - like boys are supposed to be...I wish we had more of that in our culture, and it was okay for men to be like that all the time. I still remember the decorations in my room when i was a tiny person - itll mean so much to him.

~katie

Andy, Rachel, Christopher, and Kaela said...

Great stuff mang! We love the painting and it's much more portable than a mural (more our style). You did a great job of capturing the mood of that moment, on the edge of dusk. Thanks again!

Nicolette said...

I find it interesting how nonchalantly you mention "happening to crawl up on a lion." yikes. great work though:)

Wes said...

Here's my stuff

Lynn said...

Ridiculous. That's all I have to say about this, really. You're insanely talented.

Anonymous said...

Great work.